Prayer Shawl Directions
- 3-5 skeins of Yarn
- Knitters size 11 or 13 needle
- Crochet- Hook in size j or k
- The shawl should be 24-36 inches wide and about 5-6 feet long
- Cast 54, 57, 60 or 63 stiches or some multiple of three
- Knit three, purl thee to the end of the row
- Turn and knit the purl and purl the knit (if you have 57 or 63 stiches you’ll begin every row with knit)
- A weave pattern will develop.
- Do not add a fringe
We suggest you weave prayers into your shawl as you knit or crochet Begin with a prayer for blessing the shawl. Then pray for the person who will receive the shawl as you are making the shawl.
Prayer for Healing
In the beginning, Creator God, you formed my being. You knit me together in my mother’s womb. To my flesh and blood you gave the breath of life. O Loving One, renew me this day in your love. Grant me life as gift of your faithfulness; grant me light to journey by; grant me hope to sustain me. May this mantle be fro me a sign of your healing presence. May it warm me when I am weary; may it surround me with ease of my suffering; my it encircle me with caring when I am in pain.
O Christ who healed the broken in body and spirit, be with me all that suffer this day. Be with the doctors, nurses, technicians, chaplains and all that care for the sick. Be with the families and friends of those abiding with and comforting the sick. May your gentle yet strong touch reach out to heal all the broken and hurting people and places in our world.
Crocheted Prayer Shawl Pattern
- Chain 61 (24inch) chain 91 (36inch)
- Row 1 (dc, ch 2, sc) in fourth ch from hook, *skip next 2 chs, (2dc, ch, 2sc) in the next chain. Repeat from * across.
- Row 2: ch2, turn. (dc, ch2, sc) in first ch 2sp. (2dc, ch2, sc) in the next ch 2 space across.
- Repeat row 2 until you have about 1/2 skein left.
- Last row: ch 2, turn, *sc in first ch 2 sp, ch 2 – repeat from * across & end with a sc. Finish off